The keys to hear God rely on our willingness to receive from Him. Learning how to physically sit down and receive can be challenging. In my search to know God, I had the hardest time even physically sitting down. Today, I can say that it was my heart not knowing God. In those days, I just knew my heart needed something greater than myself.
We carry the sacred “breath of life”. God puts in us His “creative and sustaining power”. Genesis 1:27 KJV – 27 So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Genesis 2:4 KJV – 4 These [are] the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,
Colossians 1:16-17 KJV – 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
John 1:3 KJV – 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Hebrews 1:2 KJV – 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his] Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
God made us in the “secret place” and “out of nothing”. Psalm 139:15 ESV – 15 My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Revelation 4:11 ESV – 11 “Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.”
We were created to have relationship with God. Exodus 3:15 ESV – 15 God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations. Our relationship is more than knowing God as Creator, but as the center of our heart’s dreams and the vision of your existence. Love seeks to build up and elevate a person to be, beloved.
God gives us a heart shaped hole to be filled with him. We have the freedom to choose Him, choose Love. If we choose to reject Him, we reject Love.
We have to trust that God loves us, knows us and hears us.
So in our quest to have relationship with Him we have to make room for Him and time for Him. In this next section, I am going to relay my own struggle to hear Him in the very beginning of my own quest. It is very relatable to most people. I hope it helps. It was a very step by step process and for me very hard to begin and continue. I will say it became easier as time went on. The more disciplined I became the easier it became.
I went through this process after realizing a few things. I actually didn’t realize, I was actually looking and searching for God. I started out by reading things unrelated to God. Things like the local ad booklet in our area. I started reading things looking for depth and some kind of revelation. Nothing felt right. These things didn’t give me any depth or understanding.
These things still left me searching harder and empty. Then I started revisiting my Catholic upbringing. The use of the rosary didn’t fulfill anything I seemed to need. I tried doing other rituals I learned but to no avail, I still came up empty.
I started seeking out older people hoping they knew something I soon realized that they were not wise. I thought for sure someone older should know something about life. When I realized that I was understanding more about life than older people, I knew I needed to make great change.
My life was becoming increasingly harder because of the abusive marriage I was experiencing. I had many reasons to need a great deal of understanding and help in my life.
This is what I experienced for quite awhile until I was able to be rooted in God. These kept me from hearing Him. I finally sat down and started reading my Bible with the following difficulties:
- I physically couldn’t even sit still long enough to read.
- I was moved by every sound I heard.
- I was hoping I could get up and be mobile.
- My thoughts were far from focused. They were quite scattered.
- I had every other distraction in my mind.
- Daily consistency was like hoping I could be a millionaire overnight.
- I avoided sitting down at all costs.
- God felt strange and uncomfortable.
- My question was “Do I trust you?”
- Should I spend time doing things I knew I could control.
- I had an unhealthy view of God.
- What was everyone else going to think? ( Knowing my Family really didn’t have this kind of intimate relationship with God.)
- I really don’t know where to start or how.
- Will I be able to hear him?
- Will he really speak to me?
- Is God real?
- The Bible is scary.
- What am I searching for?
- What was I allowed to expect from God?
- After reading certain passages, I thought,” What the heck does that mean?”
- I also thought after reading certain things,”They never told us that in church!”
- Keeping track of all of what is written in the Bible, “Oh heck, I will never be able to memorize this stuff.”
- As I became more interested, the enemy would interfere in every way possible and cause tons of doubt in what I had already read.
- Some of my other thoughts were, “Oh crap, now I really can’t talk.” “No one will understand me.”
- After learning more and more, I realized I needed help learning and growing. My next question was,”Who is going to help me? and “I am going to go crazy because I have to talk to someone to help me understand more.”
- Emotional distress.
These were just a sample of God drawing me to himself. I was in need of relationship with Him and the empty hole that needed to be filled. I was in lack of Him and He was the person to fill up the emptiness.
There is much more to relationship. This was just the very beginning.
Affirm that you are loved by Him, accepted by Him, nothing can separate you from Him and the power of His Love. Receive His Love so you can hear from Him. Trust that He Loves you.
1 John 4:18 ESV – 18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
Colossians 3:14 ESV – 14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
Today, I pray that perfect love casts all fear out of your being so you can receive the love that Jesus died for. I pray that your mind is devoid of all fear so you can hear him and receive all that he has for you.
#1 Emotional Toolkit